Sunday 5 May 2013

LTAD Canada v Australia

Hello again

I have been reading though the long term athlete development model notes in which Keith put up and found them very interesting. I went back and compared them to my virtual presentation notes which I did on Istvan Balyi's model of long term athlete development. I was happy to see that a lot of the resources which were used I went over in my presentation. The piece in which I found most interesting was http://www.canadiansportforlife.ca/ which is a Canadian website based around this LTAD model which Balyi has created.

The website itself is a great resource for parents, teachers, coaches and all other stakeholders involved in the development of our younger generation. It provides physical literacy guidelines, specific sports program's and even links as to what different physical events might be on in your area. I think this website is an absolutely great tool for everyone and more countries need to copy Canada's approach to LTAD.

The question which ponders on my mind is how can we do this I know Australia is trying to adopt this same kind of model and giving out these same sorts of resources. But is it as well known about? The Australian government has started it's initiative of Active After School which is a great idea and I have taken a few of these classes myself back in Wagga. The only thing I think that fails this program is I believe a lot of parents are only using this program as a means of free babysitting time. How i think it can improve is if these types of initiatives have more parental support. The last point I will make is that I also believe that there should be more compulsory Physical education within class time thought primary and high school. Australia's Olympic chief John Coats https://theconversation.com/coates-olympic-school-push-do-we-need-more-sport-in-curriculum-8781 explained the need for a change in physical education not only to improve our international sports identity but for the greater good of health in general.

Thanks for reading once again.

Daniel Scroope

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Daniel

    I apologise for not visiting your fascinating blog for a while.

    I was very mindful of your presentation when I compiled mine.

    It is interesting that we are talking long term if we are discussing the impact of daily physical education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Keith I'm sure you have been busy with plenty of other blogs to read.

      That's great then.

      Well I believe that long term athlete development all starts by increasing the participation of physical activity even if it is forced to start off with and then by making it as fun as possible. If we can educate our teachers the same way we are educating the coaches who are taking active after school lessons the participation will increase and the want to do physical activity will increase as these are some of the primary objectives of active after school care.

      Delete